Australian Bush Etiquette is recognized throughout the civilized world but we all need to be reminded from time to time. In this article we will cover the basics, eating out, entertaining, hygiene, cinema etiquette, and weddings.
- Never take an open stubby to a job interview. (At least bring a chilled six pack so the interviewer can have one too.)
- Always identify people in your paddocks before shooting at them.
- It’s tacky to take an Esky to church. (Except in Queensland)
- If you have to vacuum the bed it’s time to change the sheets.
- Even if you’re certain you’re included in the will it’s rude to take your ute and trailer to the funeral.
- When decanting wine from the box tilt the paper cup and pour slowly so as not to bruise the wine.
- If drinking directly from the bottle hold it with only one hand.
ENTERTAINING AT HOME:
- A centrepiece for the table should never be anything prepared by a taxidermist..
- Don’t allow the dog to eat at the table no matter how good his manners.
- While ears need to be cleaned regularly this should be done in private using one’s OWN ute keys.
- Even if you live alone deodorant isn’t a waste of money.
- Extensive use of deodorant can only delay bathing by a few days.
- Dirt and grease under the fingernails is a no-no it alters the taste of finger foods and if you are a woman it can draw attention away from your jewellery.
- Crying babies should be taken to the lobby and picked up after the movie ends.
- Refrain from yelling abuse at characters on the screen. Tests have proven they can’t hear you.
- Livestock is a poor choice for a wedding gift.
- For the groom at least rent a tux. A tracksuit with a cummerbund and a clean football jumper can create a tacky appearance.
- Never tow another car using panty hose and duct tape.
- When sending your wife down the road with a petrol can it’s impolite to ask her to bring back beer too.